The abalone diver who incredibly survived a second shark attack has revealed he did not see the great white that tried to bite his head off – but instead recognised the sound of teeth on bone.

南宁桑拿

Greg Pickering, 55, was diving for abalone off a remote part of Western Australia’s southern coast last month when he was attacked by a suspected great white shark.

It was the second time Mr Pickering had lived through a shark attack, after being bitten by a 1.5 metre bronze whaler while in waters near Cervantes, north of Perth, in 2004 as he was trying to help a friend.

Speaking about his ordeal for the first time, Mr Pickering told the Seven Network’s Sunday Night program about the circumstances of the attack, which left him needing 10 hours of surgery on facial and other wounds.

“I heard the sound, the thrashing sound, of teeth on bone – and I remembered the sound from the last time I was bitten,” Mr Pickering said.

“I thought `that is probably a shark’, but I didn’t see it – I heard the attack.”

The show claims Mr Pickering is now the only man in the world to be attacked by sharks in separate incidents and live to tell the tale.

And the interview will also detail how Mr Pickering used his 40-year diving experience to hold his breath and rise to the surface slowly after the attack, despite the water turning red around him from the blood pouring from his horrific injuries.

A roll of duct tape and a towel was then used to hold Mr Pickering’s shredded face together, as his eight-hour journey to hospital began.

Mr Pickering told reporter Mark Ferguson how he felt he had been spared his life.

“It (the shark) suddenly stopped and let me go – so I have definitely been given another chance,” Mr Pickering said.

“I do believe I have been given a second chance. God has given me a second chance there is no doubt about that.”

Soon after the attack, Mr Pickering’s family expressed their thanks to paramedics, surgeons, doctors and nurses who helped save his life, while Fisheries Department director-general Stuart Smith slapped a kill order on the shark.

But the order was then called off because the shark was not sighted again and was no longer considered a threat to school-holiday campers in the area.

Mr Pickering returned to the area where he was attacked, Poison Creek at Cape Arid National Park, about 180km east of Esperance, to tell his story.

*The interview with Mr Pickering will air on the Seven Network’s Sunday Night at 6.30pm AEDT on Sunday November 17

Read More →

Ian Bell, who belted Chris Tremain’s first delivery of the 39th over for six to tie the scores, smashed another boundary three balls later to take the tourists to a winning 151 for three total.

南宁桑拿

Bell was 33 not out, while Jonathan Trott was on 38, having shared in 50-run partnerships with both Carberry and Bell.

England had earlier bowled the Invitational XI out for 261 with Aaron Finch top-scoring on 59, while Steven Finn and Boyd Rankin took three wickets apiece.

Finn took eight wickets in the match but was particularly expensive in the second innings and the haul may not have done enough for him to take the third seamer spot for the test alongside certain starters James Anderson and Stuart Broad.

The match had been badly affected by rain and the England batsmen accelerated the run rate in the final session with threatening clouds on the horizon after the players were forced to take a lengthy weather break at the tea interval.

Carberry is England’s top-scorer on tour having scored 78 in the opening match in Perth and 153 against Australia ‘A’ in Hobart.

The visitors, however, had indicated the left-handed batsman would open the innings in Brisbane along with skipper Alastair Cook when they dropped Joe Root down the order for the latest match at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

England’s chief concern in the batting department will be with Kevin Pietersen, who has innings of 8, 57 and 6 on tour, though given his pedigree, is almost certain to start the match at the Gabba, which will be his 100th test.

Matt Prior remains the only injury doubt with a calf strain and the wicketkeeper is due to undergo a fitness test on Tuesday to determine his availability for the first test.

(Reporting by Greg Stutchbury in Wellington; Editing by John O’Brien)

Read More →

“I can say that an agreement in principle between the coach and the RFU (Russian Football Union) has been reached,” Vitaly Mutko told local media.

南宁桑拿

The 67-year-old Italian was appointed on a two-year contract in July last year, replacing Dick Advocaat after the Dutchman stood down following the team’s early exit from the Euro 2012 tournament.

Capello quickly moulded the Russians into a competitive, if unspectacular team, and led them to the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil after topping European qualifying Group F ahead of Portugal.

“As far as I know, his lawyer (his youngest son Pier Filippo Capello) will come to Moscow on November 21-22 and everything should be settled,” Mutko said, adding that the Italian was expected to sign a new four-year contract.

“There are several options for the date of the signing of the new agreement but probably everything will be officially formalised after the draw for the World Cup finals (on December 6).”

Capello boasts a remarkable record of success at club level after winning domestic titles with AC Milan, AS Roma, Juventus and Real Madrid and the UEFA Champions League with Milan.

He led England to the 2010 World Cup finals and then helped them qualify for Euro 2012 but resigned a few months before the tournament following a dispute with the English FA.

The Italian will turn 72 in 2018 when Russia will host the global showpiece but Mutko believes Capello’s age would not be an obstacle.

“We cannot lose the momentum and the continuity now,” Mutko added.

(Writing by Angel Krasimirov; Editing by John O’Brien)

Read More →

George Bailey is adamant his patchy Sheffield Shield performances will count for little when he makes his Test debut against England next week.

南宁桑拿

Bailey’s failure to turn starts into big scores since a stunning one-day tour of India continued on Saturday when he made just 16 in the second innings of Tasmania’s 129-run outright loss to Victoria at Bellerive.

The Tigers captain has made Shield scores of 34, 41, 37 and 16 since his return from the subcontinent, where he averaged 95.6 in Australia’s six matches.

“(It’s) frustrating not to get through and get big scores, (but) pleasing to be getting starts and to be feeling really good at the crease,” Bailey told reporters.

” … As a batter you’re always greedy to get more but you still start on zero.

“There’s no real lasting implications either way, whether you get runs or don’t.”

The 31-year-old, who skippered Australia in India, knocked down the door of Test selection with the sheer weight of his one-day runs and his undoubted leadership ability.

But his first-class average remains 38 and plummeted to 18.8 for the 2012/13 season.

Bailey said he had never felt more ready to step up, something he has done at one-day and Twenty20 international level.

“I feel I’m as aware of my game as I’ve ever been so I’m really comfortable with where that’s at, that I’m batting as I bat,” he said.

“That’s one of the things of getting a crack at my age, is you know you’re only going to get one crack at it so there’s no point going out there and trying to bat like anyone else but you.

“That’s a positive I see.”

Test opener Chris Rogers also struggled in the Shield match with scores of three and 11 after coming into it in superb touch.

Allrounder James Faulkner provided the positive for the Ashes squad in Hobart with a fighting 53 that threatened to save the game for Tasmania.

The 23-year-old put on 68 with Tim Paine (30) for the sixth wicket after they had come together at 5-116 with their side chasing an unlikely 337.

“We all know how destructive James Faulkner can be,” said Victorian opener Rob Quiney, who made 82 and 86.

“To get (Paine and Faulkner) within the space of two or three overs, that was the clincher.”

Read More →

Watching Shane Watson stretch out at training in Brisbane has not been enough to convince Craig McDermott that the Australian allrounder will bowl in the first Ashes Test.

南宁桑拿

However, the national bowling coach still likes what he sees ahead of the Gabba Test thanks to what he believes is a much more encouraging sight in the nets – a fired up Mitchell Johnson in full flight.

Watson completed light running drills before another lengthy batting nets session on Saturday as he recovers from a hamstring injury ahead of the Ashes opener starting on Thursday.

He held out hope that he could bowl in Brisbane but would sweat on the opinion of team doctor and former Liverpool physio Peter Brukner who arrived in Brisbane on Saturday.

“He has certainly given me great advice over the last six months especially with my body,” the injury plagued allrounder said.

“I am certainly looking forward to having a chat with him and seeing his perspective.

“I am confident I will be there as a batsman. To play as a bowler would be an ideal scenario.

“From previous experiences I will err on the side of caution.

“But if my body is right to go that’s what I will be doing (bowling).”

However, McDermott appeared to have already made up his mind.

“We will wait until the day before the game to see where he is with his bowling,” he said.

“But he hasn’t bowled so far. To rip him straight into a Test match would be pretty difficult at this stage.”

However, McDermott was unfazed by the prospect of not using Watson in his attack after watching Johnson tear into the Brisbane nets in the past two days.

McDermott was so impressed he hinted the once erratic quick so easily influenced by Barmy Army taunts was likely to be thrown the new ball in his first Test since March.

“I think there’s a good chance he will if he can use it from a swing perspective – 155 kph inswingers are a handful for anyone,” he said.

“And going away to the left-handers he will be tough to play.

“I like where Mitchell is at at the moment from an attitude or head space point of view and his pace and seam position.”

McDermott was coy when asked to compare attacks ahead of the Ashes Test after running the rule over Johnson, Peter Siddle and Ryan Harris at training in Brisbane but rated his as “formidable”.

“I back their ability to knock anyone over,” he said.

“Harry (Harris) is probably statistically the best performing bowler in Australian history.

“Sids (Siddle) is in the top five in the world. You don’t get there by bowling rubbish.

“And this is the best Mitchell has been bowling in a long time – and fast.

“From a balance point of view I couldn’t be happier.”

McDermott did not know what Watson’s likely use as a specialist batsman meant for the selection hopes of fourth seamer James Faulkner or offspinner Nathan Lyon.

“I don’t think you can read into anything,” he said.

“If Faulkner is bowling well and Nathan misses out and vice versa that is a selection … that will pan out over the next few days.”

Read More →